Friday, February 5, 2010

Polish Mistakes or Sausage Yummies

Well Game Day is fast approaching.  Time for finger food that wont get on the carpet when people start cheering.  Ok, I am not a football fan but I do like watching the commercials. I will be serving an assortment of snacks including Polish Mistakes.  Why are they called Polish Mistakes? I have no idea. I do know that they are super delicious though.  One of my dad's friends started bringing them to his bar for Super Bowl parties a long time ago.  I have tweaked the recipe just a touch to make them a little more colorful. We call them Sausage Yummies at my house so no one is offended by the silly name.

Polish Mistakes
(or Sausage Yummies)

Ingredients:

1 lb. ground sausage
8 oz. Velveeta Mexican cheese
1/8 cup red pepper, finely minced
1/8 cup green pepper, finely minced
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1 package of rye or pumpernickel squares (aka cocktail bread)

Directions:

Brown sausage in skillet. Just before the sausage is cooked through, add the peppers (this keeps them a little crisp) and garlic. While the sausage is cooking, cube the cheese into manageable pieces. Put the cubes of cheese into a medium sized bowl. Drain the fat off the sausage and pour the mixture onto the cheese. Mix well.  If the cheese doesn't melt all the way, put the bowl into the microwave for 30 seconds.  Spoon about a tbsp of the mixture onto each cocktail rye piece and place on a cookie sheet. Put the cookie sheet in the freezer for about 30 minutes to allow them to set up a bit. Next, put them in plastic bags and freeze. You can keep them in the freezer for about a month.Take out as needed and bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees in a conventional oven or 13 minutes in a toaster oven set on 450. This makes about 64, which is approximately how many slices of bread you get on one package.

The bead will be crunchy and the meat/cheese will be hot and bubbly.  This is a great appetizer because you can get out as many or few as you need and cook them in batches.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE these! I would love one right now in fact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog!

    Have a nice time!
    Paula

    ReplyDelete

..Cooking when I can.. Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino