Friday, February 20, 2009

Spaghetti alla Bolognese aka Spaghetti Sauce like Grandma used to make

My Grandma made spaghetti sauce differently than the other families I know. Sauce at my "Gramma's" didn't have a lot of sauce, but sure did have a lot of stuff in it. When I started cooking on my own I investigated tomato sauce based stuff and found I didn't like it as much. I also discovered that Gramma didn't make Marinara or Ragù. She made Bolognese. Yum! I am currently out of town and living in a hotel so I will probably not have any photos for a while but I will do my best to keep posting until I get on the ship.

1 lb. ground italian sausage
1/4 lb. ground beef
1 medium onion, diced
1 large carrot, diced
4 stalks of celery, diced
1 6 oz. can of tomato paste
2 15 oz. cans of diced tomatoes.
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon Oregano (or 2 tablespoons fresh)
1 tablespoon Basil (or 2 tablespoons fresh)
1/2 tablespoon Fresh ground Black Pepper
1/2 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup dry red wine (I like a merlot)

Fry up your meats on medium heat. They can go in together. Drain any excess grease.
Next add in your onion, carrot and celery and garlic and fry until soft.
Add the wine and let it come to a simmer before moving on. By "simmer" I mean lightly bubbling. This will let the wine flavor marry with the other ingredients.
Then add in your diced tomatoes, all the dry seasonings and mix well.
Add the tomato paste. Fill the empty can with water two times and add it too.
Mix it all around and let it come back to a simmer.
Turn your heat down to low and cover your pan.

If you are going to do this right, let it simmer for 3-5 hours. Keep an eye on it or it will burn. Just stir every 20 minutes or so.

Truthfully, it is ready to eat about 20 minutes after you add the tomato paste. But it will taste OH SO MUCH better if you let all the ingredients sit together for as long as you can stand. You may find you need to add another can of water if you simmer it the full time.

Serve over spaghetti. Not angel hair, not thin spaghetti. REAL spaghetti. Thick and filling.
Add a nice green salad and some garlic bread and you have a delicious and cheap meal.

This should serve 6 with no leftovers.

YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment

..Cooking when I can.. Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino